Skip to content

How to Become a Permanent Resident in Canada as a Temporary Worker

Obtaining a Temporary Work Permit in Canada can be considered as a step in the right direction for those looking to get their Permanent Residency. Now, keep in mind that there are various programs and venues through which one could obtain such a qualification. The basic necessity across the board is that you need to have a Canadian work permit in the first place. Once you are in Canada, you stand a better chance at attaining your status as a permanent resident.

In this blog, we explore some of the methods through which you could become a permanent resident in Canada, some important requirements you would have to meet, as well as some additional factors worth considering. Before we dive in, please note that the below facts and figures are only taken up until March of 2022. They do not represent the totality of the regulations for the foreseeable future as they may change at any time.

The Express Entry method is one of the more well-known modes of entry to Canada. It is host to the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). This scoring system is used to judge the eligibility of a person looking to enter Canada under a work permit. It will assess various factors.

For example, it can give people with a work permit a score of up to 70 points in the Human Capital area alone. You could also score up to 100 points in the Skills Transferability area. What’s more, those with a valid job offer can score up to 120 points. Simply put, if you have a work permit, as well as valid work experience and a job offer, your chances of landing your permanent resident status shoot up.

Underlying Factors to Consider for Those Seeking to be a Permanent Resident

Merely having a work permit doesn’t guarantee you permanent residency under the Express Entry system. Before any of that, you need to consider the eligibility requirements to even enter the Express Entry pool of candidates. If you are looking to get into this program, you first need to qualify under one of three sub-programs. You need to qualify either under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW), the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FST), or the Canadian Experience Class Program (CEC).

How to Become a Permanent Resident

On the other hand, if you wish to immigrate to Quebec it is a little different. You need to either qualify under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSW) or the Quebec Experience Class Program (PEQ). Yes, there are a lot of ways to go about it. What you need to keep in mind is that the requirements for each one of these programs vary. This means that as a work permit holder, you will undergo different eligibility standards for each. Now, we will get into what the different programs are and how they work. But before that, we need to look at another set of requirements: work experience.

Valid Work Experience You Need before You Become a Permanent Resident

If you are looking to qualify under the FSW or the CEC, you need to fulfill certain work experience requirements. For one, your work experience must have been a paid one. It should also be continuous and full-time. You need at least 30 hours a week for a total of 52 weeks. This can be in one or multiple jobs or a part-time job that adds up to the same timeframe.

The job should also fall under the category of skill types 0, A, or B. This is a ranking system associated with the National Occupation Classification (NOC). Speaking of which, the job should match the primary NOC of the candidate and should match the job duties that the NOC lists.

“The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today. – Elbert Hubbard, American Writer

The Different Programs for Becoming a Permanent Resident

FSW and CEC: Under the FSW program, the one year of Canadian work experience that you need, is only considered valid if it is done within the past 10 years of your applying. The process for the FSW can take up to 12 to 18 months depending on the candidate’s factors. On the other hand, if you are applying via the CEC, the period of eligible work experience is taken down to three years.

Federal Skilled Trades Program: Under this venue, you need to have work experience that falls under Major groups 72, 73, 82 or 89 under the NOC. There is also a Minor group of 632 and 633 which you might need to qualify for.

QSW and PEQ: These two have the same requirements as the FSW and CEC, with one specific difference. Part-time work is not considered eligible, so you won’t be able to qualify for the province of Quebec if your previous experience was part-time.

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP): This is a unique mode of application that can see candidates apply within a year to a year and a half for their permanent residency. Foreign workers are generally nominated for this program by their employers. However, as the name suggests, every province has a unique take on the process, and hence a different set of requirements for the same.

Just keep in mind that the majority of the applicants for most of the provinces are required to be highly skilled for certain jobs. There are certain exceptions in the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program though, that have a few unskilled occupations that could qualify.

Criteria for Becoming a Permanent Resident

What Makes a Job Offer Valid?

In addition to meeting the qualifying criteria for the work experience, candidates need to meet a few more. For one, employers need to get a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for the job offer unless you are holding an LMIA-approved work permit or an LMIA-exempt work permit for an eligible job.

The duration of the job offer also has to be valid for at least one year after the work permit holder gets their permanent residence. Hence, job offers that are seasonal or contractual would not be considered valid.

Other Factors to Consider

Aside from the work qualifications that one has to fulfill, you also need to make sure that you fulfill other requirements such as language skills, educational qualifications and so on. The CEC doesn’t have educational criteria per say, however, the FSW does. The latter requires that you have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) if you do not have a secondary or postsecondary degree or diploma from a Canadian Institute.

Recent Posts

Effective Staffing Strategies: Tailoring Solutions for Canada’s Unique Industry Sectors

Canada's economy is marked by its diversity, spanning high-tech hubs in major cities like Toronto to the natural resource-rich regions of Alberta and Saskatchewan.
Read More

Compliance and Regulation in Canadian Staffing: Navigating the Legal Landscape

Navigating the complex legal landscape of Canadian staffing and recruitment requires a thorough understanding of various compliance and regulatory frameworks.
Read More

Canadian Workforce Evolution: Adapting to Its Changing Landscape

The Canadian workforce is undergoing a transformative phase, significantly influenced by factors such as technological advancements, demographic shifts, and globalization.
Read More

Career Development and Progression: How Employers Can Support Their Staff

In an ever-evolving job market, career development and progression are not just buzzwords but essential components for retaining top talent and fostering a positive workplace culture.
Read More

Effective Onboarding: Laying the Foundation for Employee Success

In the fast-paced world of business, the importance of a structured, comprehensive onboarding process cannot be overstated. Onboarding is the critical phase...
Read More

Temporary Staffing: Benefits and Challenges for Businesses

In today's dynamic business environment, temporary staffing has become a critical strategy for companies looking to remain agile and competitive.
Read More